Benjamin C. Sassé
Benjamin Sassé is a Partner and Co-Chair of the Appellate & Legal Issues Practice Group in the Cleveland office of Tucker Ellis LLP. His practice focuses primarily on representing companies and individuals in complex trials and appeals. Ben’s experience includes representing clients in cases involving class action allegations, employment law, trade secrets, oil and gas issues, and covenants not to compete, intellectual property law, products liability, legal malpractice, and issues of constitutional law – including constitutional challenges to Ohio’s tort reform statutes. Ben has extensive experience at the trial and appellate level in state and federal courts. He regularly handles appeals in Ohio’s intermediate appellate courts and the Supreme Court of Ohio, as well as the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ben is an active member of the Ohio State Bar Association, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, American Bar Association, Defense Research Institute, and Federal Bar Association.
- Hewitt v. L.E. Myers, 134 Ohio St.3d 199, 2012-Ohio-5317. Briefed and argued case of first impression interpreting Ohio workplace intentional tort statute.
- JNT Properties, L.L.C. v. KeyBank Natl. Assn., 134 Ohio St.3d 209, 2012-Ohio-5369. Briefed and argued appeal addressing enforceability of clause in a commercial mortgage note specifying that interest would be computed on a 365/360 basis.
- Houdek v. ThyssenKrupp Materials, N.A., Inc., __ Ohio St.3d __, 2012-Ohio-5685. Authored amicus brief for Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys in case of first impression interpreting Ohio workplace intentional tort statute.
- Kaminski v. Metal & Wire Prods. Co., 125 Ohio St.3d 250 (2010). Briefed case of first impression upholding workplace intentional tort statute against constitutional challenges.
- Arbino v. Johnson & Johnson, 116 Ohio St.3d 468 (2007). Briefed case of first impression upholding tort reform damage caps against constitutional challenges.
- Environmental Network Corp. v. Goodman Weiss Miller, L.L.P., 119 Ohio St.3d 209, 2008-Ohio-3833. Authored amicus brief for Defense Research Institute in case clarifying the liability standard for legal malpractice claims under Ohio law.
- Cunningham v. Interlake Steamship Co., 567 F.3d 758 (6th Cir. 2009). Briefed maritime law appeal; summary judgment affirmed.
- Greenwald v. Shayne, 10th Dist. No. 09AP-599, 2010-Ohio-413. Briefed and argued appeal addressing applicability of arbitral immunity to claims asserted against law firm; dismissal of claims against law firm affirmed.
- Grugnale v. Tymosky, 32 A.3d 830 (Pa. Super. Ct. 2011). Briefed and argued product liability appeal addressing applicability of malfunction theory; summary judgment affirmed.
Civic & Professional Involvement
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Chair, Amicus Committee (2011-present)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Appellate Practice Committee (2011-present)
- American Bar Association, Pretrial Practice & Discovery Committee, Iqbal Task Group (2009-present)
Awards & Professional Recognition
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2005, 2011-2014)
View as PDF