Jay Shultz focuses on product liability and toxic tort matters, with an emphasis on defending industrial manufacturing clients in asbestos litigation.
In overseeing active dockets of thousands of asbestos cases, Jay has been responsible for case evaluation, local counsel supervision, settlement negotiation, and full trial preparation. He manages all aspects of mass tort product, premises, and contractor liability defense, including taking and defending depositions of various fact and expert witnesses, developing expert and corporate witnesses, drafting and arguing dispositive motions, and negotiating favorable resolutions.
In addition to his work in asbestos litigation, Jay has defended clients in general commercial, property damage, personal injury, and employment matters. He also has experience negotiating and executing commercial and residential real estate transactions.
Jay actively contributes time to pro bono causes, including the representation of incarcerated individuals and Chicago youths.
During his free time, Jay enjoys exercising, playing golf, traveling, and watching St. Louis Cardinals baseball.
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2010); Finalist, Conrad Duberstein National Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition (2009); Best Brief, Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition (2008)
- University of Illinois (B.S., 2006)
- State Admissions
- Illinois, 2010
- Federal Admissions
- United States District Court, Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- Service Areas
- Mass Tort & Product Liability
- BTI Client Service All-Stars 2022
- American Bar Association
- Phi Delta Theta Fraternity
- Phi Chapter House Corporation, Director