DeAngelo LaVette uses his significant experience as associate general counsel of a health care management company to support clients nationwide in the Tucker Ellis Health & Life Sciences Group.
In his role as associate general counsel, DeAngelo managed cases at both the trial and appellate levels in state and federal courts in Ohio and Kentucky. DeAngelo’s experiences include mediations, second-chairing a jury trial, and preparing offensive and defensive pre- and post-trial motions and appellate briefs. As part of his general responsiblities overseeing the legal affairs for dozens of health care facilities, DeAngelo led and assisted in written discovery and depositions, as well as resolution and exit strategies. He also oversaw regulatory and compliance matters and outside counsel billing.
DeAngelo also served as a judicial staff attorney for Judge Cassandra Collier-Williams of the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas commercial docket, where he drafted proposed judicial opinions and memoranda. During law school, he served as an extern for then-Chief Judge Solomon Oliver, Jr., of the United States District Court (ND Ohio), during which time he drafted preliminary opinions for Judge Oliver’s review.
Born in Cleveland, DeAngelo grew up in Bedford, Ohio. He enjoys spending quality time with his loved ones, traveling abroad, and experiencing other cultures. In his spare time, he embraces adrenaline-rush activities, including skydiving and ziplining.
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (J.D., 2017); Cleveland State Law Review, Executive Editor; CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Special Education Law
- Purdue University (B.A., 2013)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 2018
- Assisted in drafting a writ of certiorari to the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of a health care facility involving a jurisdictional issue between state and federal courts’ ability to adjudicate certain ERISA claims
- Briefed a memorandum in support of jurisdiction to the Supreme Court of Ohio that resulted in the Court’s discretionary review over a default judgment entered against two health care companies
- Worked on a team representing a skilled nursing facility on appeal that obtained a unanimous reversal of judgment for more than $350,000
- “Continuing the Conversation … You’re Going to Pay Me What?”, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Career Development Office (March 2022)
- “What I Wish I Knew Then,” Case Western Reserve University School of Law and Black Law Students Association (October 2021)
- “Mentors vs. Sponsors,” Moderator, 6th Annual Law Student Summit for Success, Norman S. Minor Bar Association, Cleveland, Ohio (September 2021)
- “Things I Didn’t Learn in Law School,” 2021 Summer Associate Panel, Norman S. Minor Bar Association (June 2021)
- “Mentors v. Sponsors,” Norman S. Minor Bar Association 5th Annual Law Student Summit for Success (November 2020)
- “Write Less, Say More: Tips for Writing a Moot Court Brief,” Law & Citzenship Conference, Ohio Center for Law-Related Education (September 2016)
- “Five Tips for Associates Reviewing or Producing Medical Records,” American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Mass Torts Litigation (February 2022)
- “COVID-19 and Ivermectin Lawsuits,” American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Mass Torts Litigation (October 2021)
- Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association, Trustee
- Gilmour Academy, Upper School Moot Court Team Coach
- NBLSA’s National Thurgood Marshall Moot Court Competition, National Advisor and Problem Writer
- Shiloh Temple House of God, Inc., Board of Directors
- House of God International, Inc., Board of Directors