Peter Voudouris is a veteran trial lawyer who defends clients in pharmaceutical and medical device, medical malpractice, and other health care-related litigation.
Peter represents physicians, nurses, and hospital systems in a multitude of specialties in cases ranging from brain-damaged infants to wrongful death. He defends high-level cases involving opioid overdoses, amputations, and orthopaedic surgeries. For the past decade, Peter has coordinated the identification, retention, and trial presentation of various experts in several metal-on-metal hip litigations both in the United States and abroad. These witnesses have included experts in the fields of orthopaedic surgery, biomechanical engineering, pathology, and infectious disease.
Starting as a first year associate, he has been lead trial counsel in several jury verdicts. Peter has also been involved in defending longshoreman claims of disability and tried a case before The United States Administrative Law Judge. While a law student at Case, Peter worked as the first law clerk at University Hospitals of Cleveland.
Peter has served as adjunct faculty at Case Western Reserve University School of Law teaching an advanced medical malpractice course to upper level students and as an instructor for a legal nurse consultant course run by The Ohio State University. Peter has spoken as an invited guest lecturer at the International Law Institute in Kampala, Uganda, teaching courses on alternative dispute resolution and medical malpractice to attorneys throughout Africa. He is a frequent lecturer to hospitals and has spoken nationally at the annual conference of the American Academy of Pain Medicine.
Peter played on both the varsity soccer and lacrosse teams at Trinity College. Married with three boys, he stays active by running the occasional marathon and following his sons’ various high school and college sporting events. His wife, Elizabeth, is a non-profit consultant in Cleveland.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., 1992); Moot Court; Delta Theta Phi, Dean
- Trinity College (B.A., 1987)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 1992
- Federal Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Angelo v. Summa Health System, Common Pleas Court of Cuyahoga County. Amputation following alleged delay in diagnosing heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Jury trial, 2018.
- E/O Lawrence Reese v. Cleveland Clinic, Common Pleas Court of Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Alleged wrongful death following placement of feeding tube. Jury trial 2013.
- Smith v. Manor Care of Canton, Inc., Common Pleas Court of Stark County, Ohio. Alleged wrongful death and fraud claims against Nursing Home Administrator. Jury trial 2007.
- Fish v. Manor Care, Inc., Common Pleas Court of Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Alleged wrongful death and negligence claims against Certified Nurse Practitioner. Jury trial 2006.
- E/O Reita Macaluso v. Bel-Park Anesthesia Assoc., Common Pleas Court of Trumbull County, Ohio. Alleged wrongful death and negligent administration of anesthesia during surgery. Jury trial 2003.
- Linda James v. Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital, Common Pleas Court of Summit County, Ohio. Alleged wrongful death following exploratory surgery. Jury trial 1997.
- Jack Stock, et al. v. Community Surgical Associates of Northeastern Ohio, Inc. Common Pleas Court of Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Alleged general surgery negligence during laparoscopic procedure. Jury trial 1997.
- Robert Burgess v. University Mednet, Inc. Common Pleas Court of Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Alleged negligent treatment of infection leading to amputation. Jury trial 1997.
- Lewis Devore v. Alliance Community Hospital, et al. Common Pleas Court of Stark County, Ohio. Alleged emergency room negligence for failing to diagnosis appendicitis. Jury trial 1997.
- Matthew DiFrancesco et al. v. John Posch, M.D. et al. Common Pleas Court of Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Alleged negligent orthopaedic surgery resulting in permanent disability. Jury trial 1996.
- Melanie Waller v. Ashok Aggarwal, M.D. Common Pleas Court of Trumbull County, Ohio. Alleged obstetrical surgery negligence during laparoscopic procedure. Jury trial 1995.
- “Strengthening Proximate Cause Defenses in Wrongful Death Cases,” Webinar, American Excess Insurance Exchange (November 2021)
- “Nursing Grand Rounds – Risk Management Issues,” presented to Summa Health System nursing staff (February 2021)
- “Navigating Summa Health System Through the Pandemic,” Moderator, 2020 In-House Counsel Summit, Tucker Ellis LLP (October 2020)
- “Expert Witnesses: Using Ohio Court Rules to Your Advantage,” NBI, Cleveland, Ohio (May 2017)
- “Unique and Unusual Lessons Learned with High Profile Experts,” DRI’s Complex Medicine/Experts Special Litigation Group (November 2015)
- “Advancing the Science and Practice of Pain Medicine in a Changing Healthcare Environment,” National Pain Academy Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas (February 2010)
- International Law Institute, Invited Lecturer, Kampala, Uganda (2000, 2006)
- The Best Lawyers in America® (2008–2023)
- 2022 Cleveland Lawyer of the Year (Product Liability Litigation – Defendants)
- America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators® (2018, 2019)
- Defense Research Institute
- Drug and Medical Device Committee, Complex Medicine Subcommittee, Program Coordinator
- Adjunct Professor
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Advanced Medical Malpractice
- Ohio State University, Legal Nurse Consultant
- Trial Attorneys of America
- MedWish International, Board Member (2008-Present)
- Roxbury Latin School (MA), Class Agent (1987-Present)
- Trinity College (CT), Alumni Association (1987-Present)