Kelli Novak focuses her practice on health care law and assists a variety of industry clients with their litigation, business, and regulatory needs.
While in law school at The University of Toledo College of Law, Kelli was a summer associate with Cleveland Clinic’s Law Department and a legal extern for the University of Toledo Health Science Campus. Through these invaluable experiences, she developed a clear understanding of client expectations and applies this unique perspective to diverse issues faced by health care clients.
Since her admission to the Ohio bar in 2013, Kelli has litigated cases on behalf of providers, primarily including the defense of actions for medical malpractice, nursing home negligence, personal injury, and medical privacy violations. Kelli’s litigation experience has spanned across many Ohio state court jurisdictions, as well as arbitration proceedings.
Kelli also counsels clients when they are faced with important business decisions, such as drafting and negotiating contractual terms and performing due diligence and risk assessments related to transactions.
In her practice, Kelli frequently helps clients navigate complex health care regulatory issues, including billing disputes with and audits by government and private payors, Medicare and Medicaid provider enrollment suspensions and revocations, state licensure and certification requirements, fraud and abuse assessments, and HIPAA and HITECH concerns.
Born and raised in Michigan, Kelli is proud to now call northeast Ohio home. She lives in Avon Lake with her husband Brian and their beagle Bernie. In her free time, Kelli enjoys cooking, traveling, and following professional and college sports.
- The University of Toledo College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013); Order of the Coif; The University of Toledo Law Review, Executive Articles Editor
- University of Michigan (B.A., 2010)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 2013
- Federal Admissions
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- “Federal and State Health Law Year in Review,” Health Care Law Update & Medical/Legal Summit 2017, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association/Academy of Medicine Education Foundation/The Academy of Medicine of Cleveland & Northern Ohio, Cleveland, Ohio (March 2017)
- “Who’s a HIPAA Business Associate? How Do You Know?”, presentation co-author, National Business Institute’s HIPAA Compliance Boot Camp, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Cleveland, Ohio (September 2016)
- Lingua Negoti Blog Posts
- “Surprise! Balance Billing Prohibitions Coming in 2022,” Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal (March 2021)
- “2018 Healthcare Compliance Outlook for Boards of Directors,” Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal (March 2018)
- “Stirring the Pot: Local Municipalities’ Influence on Prosecutorial Discretion Under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA) and an Ultimate Call for Reform of the MMMA,” 44 U. TOL. L. REV. 481 (2013)
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2022, 2023)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, 3Rs Program Volunteer
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Susan G. Komen Northeast Ohio, Associate Board Member