Joe Manno is a member of Tucker Ellis’s national and local counsel teams that defend manufacturers, suppliers, and distributors in mass tort and product liability claims.
Joe defends both small and large companies in cases involving product liability and negligent conduct claims in Ohio state and federal courts, Pennsylvania, and throughout the country. In his product liability practice, Joe has defended a wide array of products, including snowmobiles, golf cars, medical devices, HVAC equipment, refrigerant press fittings, electrical equipment, elevators, paints, electronic cigarettes and vaporizers, hose fittings, and chemicals. He is experienced in all aspects of litigation, including pre-suit counseling, discovery, expert retention and cross examination, motion practice, mediation, and trial.
Clients consistently comment on Joe’s technical expertise and his defense of complex products – working with internal engineers and product designers, developing expert strategies, and implementing a robust defense. In two recent jury trials taken to verdict, Joe served as lead associate and second chair. Joe also has served on numerous teams defending cases that resolved just prior to voire dire or verdict. Joe knows the importance of maintaining a winning trial strategy throughout the life of the case.
While Joe focuses his practice on products liability and mass tort defense, he also has experience in maritime law. With offices on the Great Lakes, he has experience representing vessel owners in Longshore and Jones Act claims.
When not traveling on client matters, Joe and his wife Natalie have their hands full with their two rambunctious toddlers Luca and Talia, who frequently try to make appearances on Zoom meetings.
- The University of Akron School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2014); Akron Law Review, Articles Editor
- The University of Akron (B.S., magna cum laude, 2011); University Honors Scholar
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 2014
- Pennsylvania, 2020
- Federal Admissions
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Second chair jury trial to verdict defending fire case on behalf of an equipment manufacturer alleged to have caused a fire (hung jury) resulting in favorable settlement
- Lead associate in Pennsylvania mesothelioma jury trial resulting in complete defense verdict (presented oral and written evidentiary arguments to the court and assisted in expert cross examinations and general trial research and support)
- Successfully defended Jones Act claims brought by the client’s former employee
- Defended to resolution more than 100 Longshore claims against Great Lakes vessel owner
- Obtained dismissal for electronic cigarette company after filing Motion to Dismiss
- Oversaw the defense of thousands of mass tort claims across the country against HVAC manufacturer as a member of its national coordinating counsel team (led product training, motion strategy, expert development, and all facets of exit strategies)
- Obtained summary judgments in disputed liability cases in state and federal courts in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Washington (led briefing, arguments, and strategy)
- “Ethical Emailing,” Tucker Ellis Ohio Professional Conduct Program, Cleveland, Ohio (December 2015)
- “Stubborn Facts Can Make Bad Pleadings,” OACTA Quarterly Review (Summer 2021)
- “Don’t Let License Rules Snuff Out Your Fire Expert,” Law360 (May 2019)
- “That Which We Call ‘Any Exposure’ by Any Other Name Would Smell as Rotten: The Transmogrification of the ‘Any Exposure’ Opinion,” DRI’s For The Defense (November 2018)
- “Schwartz v. Honeywell – A Dead-End on the Detour from Dose,” American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Mass Torts Litigation Committee (August 2018)
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2020-2022)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association