Michael Craig is an intellectual property attorney focusing on helping clients protect – and generate revenue from – their intellectual property.
Michael has prepared several hundred patent applications, and prosecuted many more, for large and small clients in the areas of computer arts, electrical arts, mechanical arts, medical devices, and life sciences.
Michael works closely with clients to provide the advice they need to optimize their IP portfolios both domestically and internationally. He is experienced in patent portfolio management and strategy; IP opinion and pre-litigation work for patent and trademark cases, including intensive claims analysis and case law research; and IP monetization strategy, along with joint development agreements, licensing agreements, and other commercial IP contract work. He has extensive preparation and prosecution experience in industries including computer software, hardware, and architecture; telecommunications; online systems and data as a service; semiconductor and signal processing; circuitry; cybersecurity; mechanical and electro-mechanical systems; and Internet of Things (IoT).
Michael earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in biology (with a molecular biology focus) and a minor in computer science. His studies gave him experience in combined biology and computer arts – in such areas as bioinformatics and medical devices – and insight into computer programming and other aspects of the computer and electrical arts.
Before becoming an attorney, Michael worked as an environmental, health and safety consultant in a variety of industries and was a regulatory compliance manager for a large chemical company.
Michael lives in Medina with his wife and three children, two dogs, and two cats. He is extremely active in the local community with youth and environmental conservation organizations.
- The University of Akron School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2007); Law Review, Editor (2005-2006); Intellectual Property Law Journal, Founding Member and Senior Editor (2006); Student Senate, President (2006)
- Hiram College (B.A. in Biology, molecular biology focus, minor in Computer Science, 1999)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 2007
- Federal Admissions
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Service Areas
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Procurement
- IP Litigation
- IP Business Strategy & Agreements
- Copyright Law
- Post Grant Proceedings
- Technology Transfer
- Patent Litigation
- Health Care M&A Transactions
- Educational Institutions
- Health & Life Sciences
- Industries Represented
- Educational Services
- “Survey of Trademark Laws and Updates Around the World,” Moderator and Speaker, 23rd Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property Law & Policy, The University of Akron (March 2021)
- “Worldwide Filing Strategies for U.S. Patents,” 21st Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property Law and Policy, The University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (March 2019)
- “The Biden Administration: What to Expect in IP,” Tucker Ellis Client Alert (November 2020)
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2016, 2017)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Electronic and Computer Law Committee
- IP Practice in the Far East Committee
- US Bar – EPO Liaison Council
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Corporate IP Management & Operations Committee
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- Ancient Order of Hibernians, Ohio State Board Member and State Legal Counsel
- Operation Legal Help Ohio, Summit and Medina counties, Volunteer
- Boy Scouts of America, Great Lakes Counsel, Boy Scout Leader
- Medina County Buckeye Youth Baseball, Manager and Legal Counsel
- West Creek Conservancy, Board Member
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Committee for the Conservancy, Chair