Michael Craig helps clients protect – and generate revenue from – their intellectual property.
Mike has prepared several hundred patent applications, and prosecuted many more, for large and small clients in the areas of computer arts, electrical arts, mechanical arts, medical devices, and life sciences.
With an undergraduate degree in biology (with a molecular biology focus) and a minor in computer science, Mike has a unique combination of education and experience that informs his practice in such areas as bioinformatics, life sciences, and medical devices – and gives him valuable insights into computer programming and other aspects of the computer and electrical arts. Mike’s portfolio management and preparation and prosecution experience spans industries including life sciences, medical devices, biologics, nutrition and cosmetics, computer software, hardware, and architecture; telecommunications; online systems and data as a service; semiconductor and signal processing; circuitry; cybersecurity; mechanical and electro-mechanical systems; and Internet of Things (IoT).
Working closely with clients, Mike provides the strategic advice they need to optimize their IP portfolios both domestically and internationally. He is experienced in patent portfolio management and strategy; IP opinion and pre-litigation work for patent and trademark cases, including intensive claims analysis and case law research; and IP monetization strategy, along with joint development agreements, licensing agreements, and other commercial IP contract work.
Mike’s experience extends to the IP/entertainment space, where he has worked on numerous book, movie, and television/streaming media deals. He currently serves several clients in the entertainment industry as their go-to attorney for ongoing projects. In this role, Mike develops and negotiates contracts for the various players in a project, including production and distribution, licensing rights, talent contracts, and merchandising rights. He also plans, prepares, and registers appropriate IP protections around the projects and diligently monitors and enforces their rights. Mike collaborates with entertainment lawyers in both New York City and Los Angeles – wherever the work is located – on negotiating pricing, salaries, and other costs.
Mike lives in Medina with his wife and three children, two dogs, and two cats. He is extremely active in the local community with youth and environmental conservation organizations.
- The University of Akron School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2007); Law Review, Editor (2005-2006); Intellectual Property Law Journal, Founding Member and Senior Editor (2006); Student Senate, President (2006)
- Hiram College (B.A. in Biology, molecular biology focus, minor in Computer Science, 1999)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 2007
- Federal Admissions
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Service Areas
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Procurement
- IP Litigation
- IP Business Strategy & Agreements
- Copyright Law
- Post Grant Proceedings
- Technology Transfer
- Patent Litigation
- Health & Life Sciences M&A Transactions
- Educational Institutions
- Health & Life Sciences
- Industries Represented
- Educational Services
- “Recent Developments in Patent Prosecution in the U.S.,” Taiwan Patent Attorneys Association, American Intellectual Property Law Association, Far East Committee (April 2022)
- “Recent Developments in Patent Prosecution in the U.S.,” Association of Singapore Patent Attorneys, American Intellectual Property Law Association, Far East Committee (March 2022)
- presentation to “Survey of Trademark Laws and Updates Around the World,” Moderator and Speaker, 23rd Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property Law & Policy, The University of Akron (March 2021)
- “Worldwide Filing Strategies for U.S. Patents,” 21st Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property Law and Policy, The University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (March 2019)
- “The Biden Administration: What to Expect in IP,” Tucker Ellis Client Alert (November 2020)
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2016, 2017)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Electronic and Computer Law Committee
- IP Practice in the Far East Committee
- US Bar – EPO Liaison Council
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Corporate IP Management & Operations Committee
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- Ancient Order of Hibernians, Ohio State Board Member and State Legal Counsel
- Operation Legal Help Ohio, Summit and Medina counties, Volunteer
- Medina County Buckeye Youth Baseball, Manager and Legal Counsel
- InMotion, Board Member
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Committee for the Conservancy