David Galin focuses on the strategic acquisition of intellectual property, including preparing and prosecuting utility and design patent applications.
He also uses his technical education and experience to provide valuable counsel to clients on various intellectual property matters, preparing patent opinions, handling trademark matters, and handling patent applications prosecuted globally. David has represented clients in technologies including consumer electronics, semiconductor devices for high-speed computer processors and flash memory assemblies, computer programs, software-based control systems, telecommunication systems, micro-electrical mechanical systems (MEMS), electrical circuits, optical devices, computer hardware, remote monitoring, and mechanical assemblies.
Before attending law school, David worked for the MITRE Corporation in Bedford, Massachusetts, where he was a systems engineer and consultant to the U.S. Air Force on the acquisition of a worldwide communications system. While at Georgia Tech, he participated in an integrated electro-optics research program with professors and graduate students. This was one of David’s first exposures to the creative process that engineers and scientists use to invent, and served as an inspiration for his becoming an IP attorney.
David is an avid skier and woodworker, and enjoys spending time with his family.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1996)
- Georgia Institute of Technology (B.S.E.E., 1990)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 1996
- Federal Admissions
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Service Areas
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Procurement
- Post Grant Proceedings
- IP Business Strategy & Agreements
- Copyright Law
- Technology Transfer
- Health & Life Sciences
- Industries Represented
- Computers & Electronics
- Consumer Products
- Electrical Equipment
- “Analysis and Implications of Overseas Intellectual Property Conflicts,” Conference for IP Managers of Foreign-Related Enterprises, Guangzhou, China (October 2019)
- “Will Computer Implemented Inventions (CII) Dominate Future Patents?”, A New IP World?, FICPI Sweden, Stockholm, Sweden (March 2018)
- “U.S. Design Patents,” Valea Seminar, Malmö, Sweden (March 2018)
- “Maximizing the Value of Design Patents in the U.S. and Abroad,” Tucker Ellis Legal Update, Cleveland, Ohio (September 2016)
- “U.S. Design Patents and Application Strategy,” Beijing Intellectual Property Conference, Beijing Patent Office, Beijing, China (November 2015)
- Who’s Who Legal
- Patent Agents & Attorneys (2017-2019)
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association