Jonathan Cooper focuses on developing successful strategy and identifying and preparing experts who can tell the company’s story from a science perspective.
For the past 30 years, Jonathan has represented individuals, small companies, partnerships, and Fortune 100 companies in a range of industries. He has tried over 20 cases to verdict or judgment, including matters involving allegations of breach of contract, trademark infringement, breach of warranty, securities fraud, theft of trade secrets, and products liability. In products liability and mass tort matters, he has worked diligently to understand the geology, mineralogy, and toxicology of the minerals involved in talc and asbestos litigation.
Jonathan enjoys serving in a variety of roles, including counselor, trial lawyer, national counsel, and national trial team member. He has appeared before state and federal courts in California, Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin.
Jonathan is certified in Legal Process Improvement, an application of LEAN and Six Sigma concepts to the practice of law.
A former competitive triathlete, Jonathan still runs and rides as much as work and family allow. He lives by Lake Erie with his wife and son and two dogs (Mr. Peabody and Emma Peel). Jonathan is also a computer hobbyist and a very poor guitar player.
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1986)
- Allegheny College (B.A., 1982)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 1986
- New York, 2012
- Federal Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- United States District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- United States District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- “That’s Quite a Story,” Tucker Ellis In-House Counsel Summit (November 2022)
- “That’s Quite a Story,” Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar (DALS) 2022, Las Vegas, Nevada (June 2022)
- “Structuring Successful and Mutually Beneficial Alternative Fee Arrangements,” ACI Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation, Chicago, Illinois (June 2017)
- “Lung Cancer: New Medical and Legal Considerations Given the Re-Emergence of Claims,” ACI’s 21st National Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, Chicago, Illinois (June 2016)
- “Introducing Your Case: Strategies for an Impactful and Effective Opening Statement,” All-Ohio Legal Forum, Ohio State Bar Association, Cincinnati, Ohio (April 2016)
- “Stubborn Facts Can Make Bad Pleadings,” OACTA Quarterly Review (Summer 2021)
- “Four Ways Litigators Can Improve LPM,” Legal Project Management Quick Reference Guide (2013)
- “WARNING: Conflicting Issues Regarding Warning Labels May Be Hazardous to Your Company’s Health,” DRI’s In-House Defense Quarterly (Spring 2011)
- “Case Study: LPM Certification at Tucker Ellis,” Legal Business Development and Project Management (September 2016)
- The Best Lawyers in America® (2013–2023)
- Ohio Super Lawyers® (2011–2014)
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Lawyers
- Product Liability Committee, Vice Chair
- Waterloo Arts, Board Member