Ross Kowalski counsels and assists clients in securing, protecting, clearing, and licensing patents, trademarks, copyrights, and other intellectual property.
Ross assists clients with all aspects of intellectual property, including patent preparation and prosecution, trademark prosecution, and copyright registration. Additionally, he is experienced in drafting, negotiating, and reviewing license agreements, as well as drafting infringement and freedom to operate opinions.
Ross uses his wide-ranging technology background in handling all aspects of patent application preparation and prosecution, from drafting provisional and non-provisional patent applications to preparing responses to achieve patent allowances. He works with companies in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, manufacturing, consumer products, and medical devices.
Ross is skilled in technology researching and art searching. These useful tools are used to evaluate a company’s portfolio, gauge the amount of IP and credibility of IP in a particular technology landscape, and prepare a legal strategy for IP protection or defense. Ross also assists in trademark searching, analysis, and prosecution for various trademark applications for design marks or word marks in an array of goods and services. He is also experienced in evaluating, preparing, and filing copyright registrations for software, graphics, literature, and other original works of art.
Ross has been registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office since 2015. Prior to this, Ross worked for several years at an engineering firm where he specialized in designing, programming, and directing the installation of industrial control systems and data acquisition networks. Because of his significant engineering experience, he recognizes the importance of innovation to all industries and the growing need to protect intellectual property.
Outside of the office, you can find Ross playing guitar and singing around Northeast Ohio. In addition to spending time with his wife Nikki and daughter Eleanor, he also enjoys biking and kayaking.
- The University of Akron School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2019); CALI Award for Civil Procedure, Patent Law, and International IP
- Ohio Northern University (B.S. in Electrical Engineering, 2010)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 2019
- Federal Admissions
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- “Help Me Help You: Positive Communications Between In-House & Outside Counsel,” 24th Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property Law and Policy, The University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (March 2022)
- “Memes Are Here to Stay, and So Is Your Risk of Being Sued for Copyright Infringement,” Westlaw Today (June 2021)