Michael Adelsheim focuses on intellectual property law matters, including the preparation and prosecution of utility and design patent applications, strategic intellectual property planning, and patent portfolio management for both established and start-up clients.
Michael uses his strong education in science and technology to provide counseling throughout the patent application process and in the analysis of patent invalidity and infringement issues. He provides clients assistance across a wide range of technology areas, including software, artificial intelligence and machine learning, application servers, business intelligence, middleware, networking, blockchain, multidimensional databases, consumer electronics, sensor and signal processing, cloud computing, data storage, audio/video, and mechanical devices. He also supports clients in intellectual property and business litigation matters in federal courts, including preparing pre-litigation analyses, providing opinion letters, working with expert witnesses, and taking and defending technical depositions.
When Michael is not at the office obtaining, defending, or enforcing clients’ intellectual property rights, he can be found on the golf course trying to lower his handicap, at home chasing his son around, or online reading about the latest developments in physics.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D., 2009)
- California Polytechnic State University (B.S. in Physics, cum laude, 2006)
- State Admissions
- California, 2010
- Federal Admissions
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- “‘Oh, the Places You’ll Find Intellectual Property!’ Commonly Missed IP Issues In-House Counsel Cannot Afford to Overlook,” 2017 In-House Counsel Summit, Tucker Ellis LLP, Cleveland, Ohio (October 2017)
- “Trade Secret Best Practices Under Ohio UTSA and DTSA,” A Different and Better Data Security Guide: Counseling Clients and Managing Crises, Tucker Ellis LLP, Cleveland, Ohio (July 2017)
- “Emerging Contractual Issues with Modern Chinese Manufacturing,” Manufacturing.net (August 2018)
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Association, Patent Chair