Courtenay Youngblood Jalics defends clients in matters involving general product liability, medical device and pharmaceutical liability, and complex business litigation.
Courtenay has experience in state and federal courts throughout the United States and in various federal multidistrict litigations (MDLs) and consolidated federal cases. In managing product liability cases nationwide, she creates strategic case management schedules, develops causation/defense themes, formulates and coordinates comprehensive discovery strategies, and identifies and develops expert witnesses covering product design, engineering, and warnings issues.
In her business litigation practice, Courtenay works on cases involving issues including breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and deceptive trade practice claims under both federal and state law.
As a member of the Tucker Ellis Health & Life Sciences Group, Courtenay counsels and assists clients with FDA regulatory matters, product recalls, and related document holds, as well as general medical, pharmaceutical, and product liability issues.
Before joining Tucker Ellis, Courtenay practiced products liability, professional liability, and commercial litigation in Chicago. She lives in Shaker Heights with her husband and their three children.
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 2001)
- University of Michigan (B.A., 1996)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 2004
- Illinois, 2001
- Federal Admissions
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- “The Feminine Technique: The Benefits of Hiring Women Litigators for Litigation About Products for Women,” Panelist, ABA Litigation Section, 2021 Women in Litigation Joint CLE Conference, Boston, Massachusetts (November 2021)
- “Ethical Obligations to Address Implicit Bias,” Moderator, ABA Section of Litigation, 2020 Women in Products Liability Regional CLE Program (October 2020)
- “Be Smart About Smart Products: The Fascinating, Mindboggling, Game-Changing, Terrifying, No Good, Very Bad Internet of Things,” Moderator, ABA Section of Litigation 2018 Women in Products Liability Regional CLE Program, Washington D.C. (November 2018)
- “National Trends in Products Liability Litigation,” Roundtable Webinar, Women in Products Liability Subcommittee of the ABA Products Liability Committee (July 2017)
- “Inside the Reptile Brain: Why the Reptile Theory is Important to the Offense and Defense,” Roundtable Webinar, Pharmaceutical, Medical Device and Biotech Subcommittee of the ABA Products Liability Committee (May 2015)
- “Using Your Cause-And-Origin Expert’s Expertise,” Law360 (March 2016)
- “Navigating the Muddy Waters of an MDL: Strategies to Get (and Keep) Your Case in Federal Court,” DRI’s The Voice (April 2015)
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2009, 2012)
- American Bar Association
- Section of Litigation, Pharmaceutical/Medical Device/Biotech Committee
- Section of Litigation, Products Liability Committee
- Products Liability Committee, Co-Chair (2022)
- Women in Products Liability Subcommittee, Co-Chair (2016-2022)
- Women in Products Liability Annual Regional CLE, Co-Chair (2016, 2018, 2020)
- Women in Litigation Joint CLE Conference, Co-Chair (2019, 2021)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Shoes & Clothes for Kids
- Board Member
- Products & Services Committee Member
- Shaker Heights High School Sports Boosters Committee