Clifford S. Mendelsohn
Cliff Mendelsohn focuses his practice on helping clients efficiently and effectively manage large dockets of cases spread across multiple jurisdictions and multi-district litigations.
He serves as national counsel for motor vehicle accident litigation and premises liability litigation for two Fortune 300 companies, providing the clients with consistency, efficiency, and cost savings in those areas of litigation. He also defends manufacturers of consumer products, pharmaceutical drugs, and medical devices in product liability claims in federal and state courts throughout the country. In these roles, Cliff has first-chair experience at trial, arbitrations, and mediations. In addition to his litigation and trial experience, he has successfully argued appeals in state and federal courts of appeal. Cliff also counsels consumer product manufacturers on compliance with federal safety regulations and reporting requirements.
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2001)
- Emory University (B.B.A., 1998)
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 2001
- Federal Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Service Areas
- Mass Tort & Product Liability
- Consumer Product Safety
- Life Sciences Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Autonomous Vehicles & Artificial Intelligence Technologies
- Health & Life Sciences
- Industries Represented
- Consumer Products
- Machinery Manufacturing
- Medical Devices
- Pharmaceutical & Medicine
- Plastics & Rubber
- Defended retailer in personal injury case arising from motor vehicle accident involving delivery driver’s alleged distracted driving. Jury trial, 2017.
- Defended sales representative of product manufacturer in personal injury case arising from motor vehicle accident occurring in intersection during power outage. Jury trial, 2017.
- Defended retailer in personal injury case arising from motor vehicle accident involving allegations of whether off-duty employee was in course and scope of employment at time of accident. Jury trial, 2016.
- Defended retailer in personal injury case arising from motor vehicle accident involving delivery driver. Jury trial, 2013.
- Defended automobile manufacturer in product liability and wrongful death claims arising from rollover accident. Jury trial, 2009.
- Manages national defense of personal injury claims related to vehicle fleet operations of two Fortune 300 product manufacturers
- Defended pharmaceutical manufacturer in federal and state courts throughout the country in wrongful death claims related to alleged defect in pain medication
- Defended pharmaceutical manufacturer in multi-district litigation regarding alleged defect in implantable mesh device
- Represented automobile manufacturer in multi-district litigation related to alleged defects in design of fuel system
- Defended automobile manufacturer against design defect claims involving serious injuries and death resulting from rollover accidents and vehicle fires
- Defended manufacturers of vinyl chloride in personal injury, wrongful death, and class action claims in federal and state courts throughout the country relating to workers’ alleged occupational exposure to vinyl chloride
- Counseled consumer product manufacturers in multiple industries on procedures for responding to consumer product complaints
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- “Steps That Fleets Can Take to Defend Negligent Entrustment Claims and Minimize the Risk of Nuclear Verdicts,” 2021 NAFA Fleet Management Association Institute & Expo (September 2021)
- “Negligent Entrustment and Nuclear Settlements,” New Jersey Chapter Webinar, NAFA Fleet Management Association (January 2021)
- “The Use of Telematics Data in Motor Vehicle Accident Litigation,” Webinar, NAFA Fleet Management Association (March 2020)
- “Consolidating Accident Data,” FLEETOWNER (May 2019)
- “A National Counsel Model for Vehicle Fleet Accident Cases,” Law360 (April 2019)
- “A Look at the Future of Autonomous Vehicle Litigation,” Ohio State Bar Association WebCast (July 2018)
- “Evolution of Shopping Center Signage Creates New Legal Issues for Landlords and Tenants,” Shopping Center Legal Update (Spring 2015)
- “CPSC Database Has Potential for Far-Reaching Business and Legal Implications,” Product Liability Law360 (January 2010)
- “Protecting Your Company Against Nanotechnology Litigation” – 2009 Ohio Innovation Summit (April 2009); Ohio CLE Webinar (December 2009)
- “Nanotechnology Litigation: Factors to Consider When Advising Your Clients,” International Association of Defense Counsel Product Liability Newsletter (May 2009)
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2009, 2011-2013, 2015, 2016)
- Cleveland Leadership Center, Cleveland Bridge Builders Class of 2014
- College Now, Mentor
- Shaker Schools Foundation
- Board of Trustees (2019-present)
- Advisory Committee (2017-2018)