Thomas Giacobbe applies his background in mechanical engineering to support clients’ intellectual property needs across an array of industries.
Tommy advises and supports clients in the acquisition, safeguarding, enforcement, clearance, and licensing of intellectual property. His experience includes drafting office action responses, provisional and non-provisional patent applications, and appeal briefs, as well as conducting infringement and validity opinions, including patentability and freedom-to-operate analyses. Moreover, Tommy is adept at navigating issues related to cybersquatting, ensuring clients maintain control over their digital presence.
During law school, Tommy honed his prosecution and litigation skills as a law clerk in the Tucker Ellis Intellectual Property Department, where he conducted legal research and other activities to support IP litigation teams. This practical experience allowed him to bridge the gap between abstract legal theories and the real-world challenges clients face.
Dedicated to staying current with the latest legal developments and technological advancements, Tommy brings a meticulous, forward-thinking approach to his practice. Leveraging his undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering, he effectively applies his technical expertise to understand clients’ innovations, the prior art landscape, and overarching project goals. As an IP attorney, Tommy strives to play a key role in facilitating innovation by safeguarding inventor efforts from potential encroachment by others.
Away from the rigors of the legal world, Tommy is an ardent soccer player, displaying his competitive spirit as a semi-professional player with Ehtar Belleville F.C. He also indulges in Pokémon card collecting and embarking on adventures in Dungeons and Dragons with his close friends. His love for animals shines through in his role as a “dog dad.” Tommy finds balance in his life through these activities, coupled with hiking and enjoying the great outdoors with his partner Gabriella.
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 2023); Scholars in Law Award; Intellectual Property Society; Associate Managing Editor of Jurisprudence Law Review
- Southern Illinois University (B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, summa cum laude, 2020); Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Senior
- State Admissions
- Missouri, 2023
- Service Areas
- Intellectual Property
- IP Tip of the Month Blog Posts
- “Adapting to Challenges Posed by the Fourth Industrial Revolution: A Regulatory Call to Action Concerning Cybernetic Technology,” Washington University Jurisprudence Review (November 2022)
- Missouri Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- JOIN HANDS ESL Association
- Glen-Ed Food Pantry Volunteer
- Metro East Humane Society Volunteer