Steven Lauridsen represents companies of all sizes in patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, and domain name litigation at both the trial and appellate levels, in Section 337 investigations before the U.S. International Trade Commission, and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Steven has become a “go-to” attorney for clients facing intellectual property emergencies, such as when an infringer threatens immediate and long-lasting harm to the client’s reputation and brand or when a competitor has misappropriated a client’s trade secrets. Steven collaborates closely with clients to quickly and thoroughly evaluate their particular circumstances and then works tirelessly to obtain appropriate relief from the court.
Regardless of whether an emergency is involved, Steven understands that the time a client spends litigating represents time taken away from running that client’s business – and that a legal victory rings hollow if it does not ultimately support the client’s business objectives. Steven therefore takes every effort not only to minimize the impact of litigation on the client’s day-to-day operations but also to keep focus on the business itself.
While Steven has particular expertise in computer software, he also advises clients in many other technologies and industries, including cosmetics, lasers, lighting, medical devices, music festivals, and apparel.
Steven’s litigation skills are bolstered by his diverse patent and trademark prosecution and counseling experience, ranging from developing a startup company’s patent portfolio and intellectual property strategy to assisting in the management and expansion of multinational companies’ domestic and international trademark portfolios.
An avid worldwide traveler and foodie, Steven has combined these passions by attempting to eat his way through every country in the world. He also enjoys snowboarding, fitness, and the theatre.
- University of Southern California, Gould School of Law (J.D., 2006)
- University of Pennsylvania (B.S. in Systems Science and Engineering, cum laude, 2003)
- State Admissions
- California, 2006
- Federal Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- Obtained a preliminary injunction on behalf of a famous music festival in a trademark infringement action
- Secured a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction for a major consumer products manufacturer in a trade secret misappropriation and breach of non-disclosure agreement action
- Obtained a permanent injunction as part of a final judgment including the award of attorneys’ fees in a trademark infringement action brought against an individual passing himself off as the president of a local chapter of client’s organization
- Obtained a temporary restraining order against former officers of a client who used confidential and trade secret information to start a competing business, including obtaining an order requiring an investigation by a special master to ensure that all such information was destroyed or returned
- Obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of an airline conversion company in a trade secret misappropriation case
- Successfully represented a manufacturer of premium apparel accused in an International Trade Commission investigation of infringing six patents covering laser technology for distressing denim
- Co-managed a trial preparation team in a trademark infringement, dilution, and cybersquatting action, including the preparation of all pretrial documents and the preparation of trial witnesses
- Developed appellate strategy and authored opening and reply briefs before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit that resulted in the reversal of the district court’s summary judgment order of patent non-infringement in a published opinion on behalf of a company that produces geolocation-based mapping software and location-based image processing and display
- Obtained summary judgment in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas invalidating as obvious a patent asserted against garment manufacturers and retailers and succeeded in having the decision affirmed on appeal
- Successfully represented a client in a breach of contract action implicating FDA regulatory compliance issues
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a custom wheel manufacturer sued for patent, trademark, and trade dress infringement
- Successfully represented a corporation and two of its officers accused of trade secret misappropriation, computer fraud, and breach of the duty of loyalty
- Obtained summary judgment of patent non-infringement and a subsequent award of attorneys’ fees against both the plaintiff and its law firm in an action alleging infringement of several patents relating to the manufacture of blankets
- Filed numerous UDRP complaints resulting in the transfer of domain names to their rightful owners
- Successfully represented a manufacturer of famous hot sauce in a trademark infringement and breach of contract action and succeeded in having dismissed counterclaims seeking to invalidate the client’s famous trademark
- “Trademarks and the First Amendment,” Tucker Ellis In-House Counsel Summit (October 2023)
- “Challenges and Strategies for Brand Enforcement in E-Commerce,” Tucker Ellis In-House Counsel Summit Webinar (November 2021)
- “‘Oh, the Places You’ll Find Intellectual Property!’ Commonly Missed IP Issues In-House Counsel Cannot Afford to Overlook,” Tucker Ellis In-House Counsel Summit (October 2017)
- “‘Bad Spaniels’ Supreme Court Ruling Sheds Light on Trademark Parodies,” Tucker Ellis Client Alert (June 2023)
- “Memes Are Here to Stay, and So Is Your Risk of Being Sued for Copyright Infringement,” Westlaw Today (June 2021)
- “Legal Standards and Strategies for Obtaining Attorneys’ Fees in Intellectual Property Cases,” DRI’s For The Defense (August 2019)
- California Trademark Law Section for “State Trademark and Unfair Competition,” International Trademark Association (#41, May 2009)
- WTR 1000
- United States: California (2024)
- State Bar of California
- International Trademark Association
- Trademark Reporter Committee (2024–2025)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Fellows Program (2024)
- The Trevor Project
- ITC Trial Lawyers Association
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association