Scott Hunsaker has a diverse practice in civil litigation with a primary focus on product, premises, and automobile liability matters and a secondary focus on commercial matters.
In the areas of product and premises liability, Scott serves on national counsel teams and as local counsel defending companies in mass tort litigation involving alleged injuries from exposures to asbestos, benzene, silica, talc, and diacetyl. He also serves on national counsel teams defending corporate clients in high-stakes motor vehicle accidents. In addition, Scott handles matters involving intellectual property, real estate, and commercial disputes. He appears in state and federal courts across the country with a concentration in Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee, Louisiana, Texas, and Florida. Further, he serves as a mediator for the Mandatory Mediation Program, United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois.
Scott is experienced in all aspects of civil litigation from pre-suit investigation to jury trials, including the intermediate stages of motion practice, discovery, and depositions. Due to this significant experience, he is responsible for developing, advising, and implementing strategies for all phases of litigation. Scott also dedicates time to pro bono matters with a focus on prisoners’ rights litigation.
In law school, Scott served as law clerk intern to Federal Magistrate Judge David Noce of the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri. In this position, Scott prepared draft opinions and observed all phases of criminal and civil litigation, including jury trials. This valuable experience guides Scott in his federal practice today.
Scott and his wife, Jennifer, are the proud parents of two young children. Scott is a youth hockey coach for the Kirkwood Youth Hockey Association. He enjoys golfing, downhill skiing, and traveling with his family.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., 2011); Saint Louis University Law Journal; Academic Excellence Award for Highest Grade in Constitutional Law I; Trial Advocacy I and II; Legal Research and Writing Assistant
- University of Dayton (B.A. in Criminal Justice, 2008); Judicial Hearing Board, Student Member
- State Admissions
- Missouri, 2011
- Illinois, 2012
- Federal Admissions
- United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- United States District Court, Western District of Missouri
- Prevailed on a personal jurisdiction motion in a breach-of-contract case for a Fortune 100 corporation
- Member of the Mediation Panel for the Mandatory Mediation Program, United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- Served as second-chair trial counsel in a failure-to-protect and assault prisoner-related case in United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- Served as third-chair trial counsel in the defense of a motor vehicle accident with a multimillion-dollar settlement demand, leading to a unanimous jury verdict in favor of the corporate client and employee
- Assisted in securing a voluntary dismissal without payment of a product manufacturer faced with a large settlement demand after filing appropriate dispositive motions
- As appointed trial counsel, reached an amicable resolution in a prisoner-related case in the Southern District of Illinois
- Prevailed on a motion for summary judgment for a product manufacturer in the face of a multimillion-dollar settlement demand
- Led the strategy resulting in a voluntary dismissal without payment of a small construction company after motion practice and defending the corporate representative at deposition
- Participated in Mediation Clinic, Saint Louis University School of Law
- Mediated landlord-tenant disputes and family law matters, including divorce and child custody
- “Asbestos Transparency Laws Can Stop Double Recovery,” Law360 (July 2018)
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2015, 2017, 2018, 2020–2022)
- The Missouri Bar
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee
- Social Media/Web Vice Chair (2021-2022)
- Young Lawyer Liaison Co-Chair (2019-2020; 2020-2021)
- Young Lawyer Liaison Co-Vice Chair (2018-2019)
- Young Lawyers Committee
- Substantive Law Committee Liaison and Engagement Co-Chair (2019-2020; 2020-2021)
- Substantive Law Liaison Co-Vice Chair (2018-2019)
- Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee