Lisa Carteen marries her intellectual property expertise with her broad-based commercial litigation background to help clients achieve their business objectives. She represents clients at the drawing board, in trial, on appeal, and before administrative tribunals.
A problem solver by nature, Lisa works closely with clients to gain a thorough understanding of their business and strategic goals to provide creative, efficient, and cost-effective solutions to their issues.
In her complex commercial litigation practice, Lisa focuses on the defense of emerging companies and multinational corporations in the retail, consumer products, and technology sectors. She has substantial experience defending business litigation cases and counseling clients on matters involving the purchase and sale of businesses, real estate disputes, trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition, and shareholder disputes.
In her intellectual property practice, Lisa recognizes the importance of focused advocacy in prosecuting and defending clients’ patents, trademarks, trade dress, trade secrets, and copyrights. As counsel to startups, manufacturers, and retailers, Lisa keeps a keen eye on the costs and burdens of litigation as she identifies innovative ways to support clients’ business strategies in developing, monetizing, and protecting their IP portfolios.
Lisa’s practice also includes prosecuting and defending employment matters, including sales representative commission claims, wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, and harassment. She advises management and executives on employment practices, including employment contracts and separation agreements.
Born and raised in Southern California, Lisa enjoys taking in live music and playing outside with her Shih Tzu Celie.
- Campbell University School of Law (J.D., 1998)
- University of Southern California (B.A., cum laude, 1993)
- State Admissions
- California, 1999
- North Carolina, 1998
- Federal Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- Negotiated royalty-free license agreement for corporate client after it was accused of infringing IP rights concerning a children’s book and motion picture
- Defeated request for emergency injunctive relief to leverage Fortune 50 e-commerce company’s early dismissal in trade secret and copyright infringement lawsuit
- Lead counsel in real estate cases involving option agreements, purchase/sale of real property, major commercial lease disputes, and boundary and nuisance disputes
- Represented cryptocurrency miners/owners in blockchain technology litigation, which resulted in successful involuntary bankruptcy action against defendants
- Obtained marketable title to commercial properties for Fortune 100 bank in real estate foreclosures and related litigation throughout California
- Successfully defended international company in class action antitrust lawsuit that accused client of using multi-award winning website to restrain competition in the online gaming market
- Represented shoe manufacturer in trade dress infringement, dilution, and unfair competition action; obtained favorable judgment for client, which states client owns distinctive trade dress in its footwear and packaging
- Defended and obtained a jury verdict for a publicly traded accounting services provider
- Successfully defended financial services company during administrative trial before the Office of Administrative Hearings; developed innovative defense strategy that enabled client to maintain its finance lenders license, which the Department of Corporations sought to revoke on the basis that the client was engaging in allegedly unlawful practice regarding consumer loans
- Obtained favorable settlement for manufacturer of aerospace components in action concerning misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition
- Successfully settled case for home furnishings designer brought to enforce designer’s copyright ownership rights in design against its competitor
- Obtained title to commercial property and favorable settlement for retail client through early mediation in action involving client’s exercise of its option to purchase property
- Defended major financial services company against fraud allegations; negotiated dismissal of entire action during early mediation with no concessions to plaintiff
- “Free Speech Issues for the LGBTQ Community in 2023,” Tucker Ellis In-House Counsel Summit (October 2023)
- “We’re Not in Kansas Anymore, Are We? Operating in Multiple States May Mean Big Differences in Employment Laws,” Tucker Ellis In-House Counsel Summit (October 2022)
- “New California Employment Laws for 2024: What Employers Need to Know,” Tucker Ellis Client Alert (January 2024)
- “New California Employment Laws for 2022: What Employers Need to Know,” Tucker Ellis Client Alert (December 2021)
- “New California Employment Laws for 2021: What You Don’t Know May Hurt You,” Tucker Ellis Client Alert (December 2020)
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2006-2011)
- Law360, 2023 California Editorial Advisory Board
- American Bar Association
- The State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar