Joanna Maxwell focuses on insurance matters, business litigation, and corporate risk assessment.
Joanna brings a meticulous approach to her practice in the Tucker Ellis Business Litigation Group. Having represented the interests of insurers in a wide range of claims, including inland transit, marine losses, and director and officer liability, she is highly experienced in analyzing complex insurance issues to determine coverage, evaluate exposure, prepare coverage positions, and develop strategy.
Joanna has significant experience in all aspects of cargo transportation law. For years, she has defended and prosecuted transportation cases in federal and state courts across the country, including numerous federal courts where she has been admitted pro hac vice. She is well-versed in matters involving COGSA, Carmack, and the Montreal Convention. Joanna also handles maritime matters, particularly those invoking admiralty jurisdiction of federal courts. In addition, Joanna has been instrumental in securing significant victories for clients in matters involving environmental issues, particularly marine oil spills. As part of her appellate law practice, Joanna is skillful in drafting legal briefs on appeal and has enjoyed a perfect track record on all appeals she has handled. On the corporate compliance side of her law practice, Joanna has been called upon to provide exposure analysis on economic sanctions issues, primarily those impacting international transportation of marine cargo.
A problem solver by nature, Joanna takes pride in her ability to tackle difficult problems on behalf of clients and find solutions that protect their business interests.
In her spare time, Joanna enjoys traveling, hiking, and playing chess.
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (J.D., 2011)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.A., summa cum laude, 2005)
- State Admissions
- California, 2013
- Federal Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- Drafted winning appellate brief in North of England Protecting & Indemnity Ass’n Ltd., et al., v. Tesoro Refining and Marketing Company, LLC, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Case No. 14-56362
- Drafted winning appellate brief in Total Quality Logistics, LLC v. Balance Transportation, LLC, Twelfth Appellate District of Ohio Case No. CA2019-04-035 (2020 Ohio 620)