Dina Roumiantseva focuses her IP practice on trademark counseling, prosecution, and litigation, as well as copyright infringement, cybersquatting, trade secrets, and contract disputes.
With experience handling proceedings in federal and state courts and in arbitration, Dina counsels clients ranging from startups to established multinational brands on selecting and protecting strong trademark portfolios, managing risks associated with new product designs, trademark and copyright enforcement – including opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board – and on intellectual property aspects of corporate transactions. Her litigation experience includes representing a leader in the hemp-based cannabidiol (CBD) industry, a leading brewing company, and one of the largest consumer genetic testing companies in trademark disputes, all of which settled with favorable outcomes.
Dina is regularly called upon by clients for her deep working knowledge of trademarks and copyrights and her innovative approach to problem solving. She is actively involved with the Publications Committee of the International Trademark Association, developing up-to-date content for practitioners and the public.
During law school, served as a judicial extern to both the Honorable Susan Y. Illston of the US District Court, Northern District of California and the Honorable Marsha S. Berzon of the US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.
Dina resides in Berkeley, California. Outside of her growing IP practice, she enjoys road cycling, surfing and stand-up paddleboarding, visual arts, and mentoring Berkeley Law students.
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (J.D., Certificate in Law and Technology, 2014); Contributor and Editorial Board Member, Berkeley Technology Law Journal
- Harvard University (B.A. in Cognitive Neuroscience, cum laude, 2003)
- State Admissions
- California, 2014
- Service Areas
- Copyright Law
- IP Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Internet Law & Domain Names
- Industries Represented
- Consumer Products
- Dietary Supplements
- Financial Institutions
- Food Manufacturing
- Information Technology
- Medical Devices
- Pharmaceutical & Medicine
- Retail Stores
- “U.S. Trademark Law Round-up: And How Brand Owners Can Take Advantage of the Trademark Modernization Act,” World IP Review Trademarks North America (September 2022)
- “Protecting and Exploiting Your Brand: A Global Trademark Perspective,” World IP Review Trademarks Live (May 2022)
- “Protecting Your Trademark: A Global Trademark Law Update – Trends, Challenges and Latest Case Law,” World IP Review Trademarks Live (June 2021)
- “Upcycled Goods: Considering When Restoration Crosses into Infringement,” IPWatchdog (March 2022)
- “#canyoutrademarkthat?,” Daily Journal, Vol. 122, No. 157 (August 2016)
- “Divert All Trademark Appeals to the Federal Circuit? We Think Not,” 105 Trademark Reporter 1275 (September 2015)
- “Can a Business #trademark a Hashtag?” Daily Journal, Vol. 121, No. 105 (June 2015)
- “Design Patents in the Modern World,” Berkeley Technology Law Journal Bolt (April 2013)
- “The Eye of the Storm: Software Patents and the Abstract Idea Doctrine in CLS Bank v. Alice,” Berkeley Technology Law Journal, 28:4 (July 2013)
- “Ho v. Taflove, 648 F.3d 489 (7th Cir. 2011),” Berkeley Technology Law Journal, 27:1 (2012)
- Best Lawyers®: Ones to Watch (2021-2023)
- International Trademark Association, Publications Committee
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- State Bar of California, Intellectual Property Section