Karl A. Borgsmiller
Karl Borgsmiller focuses his practice on complex civil litigation.
Karl is a member of our national and local defense teams representing clients ranging from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies in state and federal courts throughout the United States. He assists clients in cases involving mass tort and product liability, medical and pharmaceutical liability, premises liability, commercial motor vehicle accidents, and business litigation.
Karl is experienced in all phases of litigation, including fact investigation, discovery, responding to and preparing pleadings, conducting depositions, dispositive motions, and trial preparation. He manages cases from inception, working closely with clients’ teams to provide initial assessments and develop key strategies to achieve favorable results. Much of Karl’s success is attributable to his deep knowledge of civil and court procedures, thorough fact investigations, legal research, and persuasive writing. Karl has successfully resolved numerous cases for clients through dispositive motion practice.
During law school, Karl was a law clerk for Federal Magistrate Judge Abbie Crites-Leoni of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. In this role, he evaluated pleadings and motions, prepared draft opinions, and observed all aspects of civil and criminal federal litigation – an experience that continues to influence his federal practice today.
Passionate about giving back to his community, Karl regularly assists clients in pro bono landlord-tenant disputes as a volunteer attorney for Legal Services of Eastern Missouri.
In his free time, Karl enjoys attending concerts, traveling to sunny beaches, and spending time with his family. A former Division I track athlete, Karl loves to play sports – especially soccer and basketball. He also likes to camp and hike in Missouri’s beautiful state parks.
- Southern Illinois University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2019); Dean's List; Southern Illinois University Law Journal, Note Editor; Teaching Assistant – Civil Procedure and Torts; Gilbert Family Memorial Scholarship
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.S in Political Science, 2015); Illinois Men's Track and Field Team
- State Admissions
- Missouri, 2019
- Illinois, 2019
- Federal Admissions
- United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- Service Areas
- Mass Tort & Product Liability
- “YouTube vs. the Music Industry: Are Online Service Providers Doing Enough to Prevent Piracy?“, 43 S. Ill. U. L.J. 647 (Spring 2019)
- “Asbestos Transparency Laws Can Stop Double Recovery,” Law360 (July 2018)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri