Evan Sotiriou represents corporate clients in domestic and international intellectual property matters.
A registered U.S. patent attorney, Evan has more than two decades of experience focusing primarily on patent preparation and prosecution. He assists companies of all sizes in developing and managing their patent portfolios. Evan has been able to effectively and efficiently balance client needs and cost with obtaining strong and enforceable patent protection, all while maintaining a personal touch that clients appreciate. As a result, he has developed long-lasting relationships with many clients.
Evan focuses his expertise in the technological fields of electrical, software, electromechanical, and mechanical inventions. He is particularly experienced with technologies including computer networking and hardware, semiconductor devices, online systems, imaging systems, vehicle and aircraft control systems, printers, projectors, medical devices, medical diagnostic imaging systems, testing equipment, RFID systems, communication systems, digital interfaces, virtual reality systems, document management systems, electrical connectors, GPS technology, antennas, and portable electronic devices.
Evan’s client-centric approach at all stages of patent procurement and enforcement allows clients to grow and monetize their patent portfolios, as well as to evaluate and expand their existing patent protection to develop and strengthen market positions. He obtains and maintains strong patent protection by preparing patent applications for clients, advocating for them before the U.S. Patent Office and on appeals before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and with post-issuance enforcement of their patent rights.
As part of his practice, Evan has rendered opinions on many different patent issues and has represented clients in licensing matters and mergers and acquisitions. Also experienced with trademark matters, he prepares and prosecutes trademark applications and represents clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Born and raised in Singapore, Evan has lived in St. Louis since high school. He enjoys spending time with his wife and their four children (including attending their kids’ many activities), playing golf, and bowling with his bowling league.
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Washington University in St. Louis (B.S. in Electrical Engineering, minor in Economics, 1994)
- State Admissions
- Missouri, 1997
- Federal Admissions
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Developed significant patent portfolio for a startup company through value-added planning, resulting in acquisition by a large medical device company
- Represented a high-tech Silicon Valley company in a merger valued at over $250 million
- Represented a healthcare company in IP matters related to an acquisition valued at over $1 billion
- Manages a company’s IP portfolio as its de facto in-house attorney dealing with all aspects of growing and protecting its intellectual property
- Developed best practices and invention-harvesting processes for a number of companies
- “Patent Training – U.S. Designs – Damages,” client presentation (March 2019)
- “IP Law: Samsung vs. Apple,” Bar Brews CLE & Happy Hour Series, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (July 2018)
- “35 U.S.C. § 112, ¶ 6—Means for Better Patent Protection,” 47 St. Louis U. L.J. (November 2003)
- “Samsung Earbuds Infringe Patent, Texas Suit Says,” Law360 (October 2023)
- 2023 Best IP Attorneys in St. Louis, St. Louis Small Business Monthly
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- International Trademark Association
- Safer Streets for Kirkwood
- Chaminade College Preparatory School, Alumni Board of Directors