Erica James applies her medical knowledge and training to defend clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device, and health care industries.
Erica began her professional training in medical school, after which she completed a residency in family medicine. Shifting focus, she subsequently completed law school with a concentration in health law. Applying this specialized skill set, she approaches client matters with legal reasoning augmented by technical precision.
At the earliest stages of engagement, Erica delves into the science underlying the claims. This initial step is important in evaluating the merits of the claims, sometimes allowing for early resolution. It also increases efficiency in cases that progress, augmenting her ability to analyze complex fact patterns and identify which facts are relevant to the claims and defenses at issue.
Erica’s practice focuses primarily on the defense of health care, pharmaceutical, and medical device clients in state and federal court. She has participated in all aspects of litigation, from filing to resolution, including the preparation of pleadings, written discovery, taking and defending depositions, participating in mediation and settlements, briefing legal issues, and trial. She has provided on-site trial support at multiple trials and was co-lead counsel in a motor vehicle accident case that resulted in an $850,000 verdict for our client. She also has experience conducting internal investigations of presuit claims.
Erica is the caretaker of two aptly named shih tzus, Princess and Duchess. She enjoys listening to audio books, which definitely counts as reading.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2010); Order of Barristers; National Moot Court Team; Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine
- University of Miami (M.D., 2004)
- University of Miami (B.S., cum laude, 2000); Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi
- State Admissions
- Ohio, 2010
- Federal Admissions
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- “State Law Update,” 2015 Medical/Legal Summit, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association/Academy of Medicine Foundation/Academy of Medicine of Cleveland & Northern Ohio, Cleveland, Ohio (April 2015)
- “Affordable Care Act Insurance Overview,” EO Accelerator (2013)
- “Federal Law Update,” Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association 28th Annual Health Care Law Institute (2012)
- “State Law Update,” Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association 27th Annual Health Care Law Institute (2011)
- “Ohio Law Update,” Ohio State Bar Association Health Care Law Seminar (2011)
- “States Take the Lead With Business COVID-19 Immunity Statutes,” Bloomberg Law (October 2020)
- “Ohio Supreme Court Rules on Statute of Repose,” Northern Ohio Physician, Vol. 98, Issue 1 (January/February 2013)
- “Ohio Providers May Face Perpetual Liability for Malpractice Claims,” Northern Ohio Physician, Vol. 96, Issue 6 (November/December 2011)
- “State Court Reservations Cancelled for Litigation Tourists in Philadelphia Mesh Litigation,” Drug & Device Law Blog (January 2020)
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars® (2014-2020)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Norman S. Minor Bar Association
- Northeast Ohio Neighborhood Health Services, Inc., Board Member